Monday, January 26, 2009

the red wheelbarrow

The Red Wheelbarrow
by William Carlos Williams

so much depends
upon

a red wheel
barrow

glazed with rain
water

beside the white
chickens.


William Carlos Williams is definitely one of my favorite poets, considering this is the third poem of his that I’ve chosen. Anyways, I really enjoy the simplicity and imagery of his poems. His writing is almost photographic, describing every little detail and how they all combine together, forming a clear picture. His choice of words is so succinct and elementary that almost anyone can appreciate his poetry. I can see that rain washed wheelbarrow as clearly as if it was sitting in front of me, and I can hear the chickens clucking as they peck at the soil in search of food. I am there, savoring that moment along with Williams, and I am grateful that he preserved it for us with these 16 powerful words.

In all of Williams’ poems, a deeper meaning can be debated. But I can appreciate the surface, or the unexpected beauty found in the simplest and most inconsequential things. Sometimes something that is absolutely ordinary can be stunningly beautiful. I think Williams is trying to say that we must cherish these rare moments, if only for a fleeting moment.

No comments: